Wrinkles and the deepening of natural folds and creases, particularly in the face and hands, are a normal part of aging. However, many men and women come to ArtfulSurgery with similar complaints: they feel vibrant and young on the inside, but look old and tired on the outside. To combat this discrepancy, Dr. Lee may recommend dermal fillers: non-surgical injectables that restore volume while simultaneously minimizing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
At ArtfulSurgery, Dr. Lee performs all of the injections personally. One of the benefits of coming to a plastic surgeon, like Dr. Lee, for injectables is that she has a thorough understanding of facial anatomy and understands that no two faces are alike. She often calls the dermal filler treatments “restorative anatomy”, as she aims to regain the youthful contours of the patient’s face – not create an unnatural or overdone appearance.
At ArtfulSurgery, we pride ourselves on the artistry that goes into our work. Call our Lafayette, CA office or fill out our online form to request your dermal filler consultation.
About Dermal Fillers
Dermal fillers are injectable products that restore volume underneath the skin and help correct the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. At ArtfulSurgery, we offer two basic types of dermal fillers: hyaluronic acid fillers, including Juvéderm and Restylane, and calcium hydroxyapatite, including Radiesse. These fillers are highly effective and also very safe, with minimal chance for an allergic or adverse reaction.
Some of the issues that dermal fillers can be used to correct include:
- Loss of volume in the cheeks/mid facial area
- Wrinkling around the lips (vertical lip lines)
- Loss or lack of volume in the lips
- Overly deep nasolabial folds
- Marionette or puppet lines around the corner of the mouth
- Sagging or tired appearance of the lower eyelids
- Loss of volume and appearance of wrinkles on the back of the hands
Some other, albeit less common, uses for dermal fillers include improving the appearance of the nose and augmenting the chin without the need for rhinoplasty or implants, respectively. Some of the dermal fillers we offer can also be used to help combat the appearance of frown lines. However, many patients find that they achieve the best results in diminishing frown lines with Botox or Dysport. At the time of the consultation, Dr. Lee will recommend the best product or combination of products for the patient’s individual needs.
Good candidates for dermal fillers may be patients who wish to improve the appearance of wrinkles or lack of volume in the face or hands without undergoing an invasive procedure. Patients should be in good health and have realistic expectations for the outcome of their treatment. They should understand that dermal fillers are not a permanent anti-aging solution and will require future treatments to maintain results. Dermal fillers are generally not used during pregnancy or while breast-feeding.
There is no “ideal” age to begin dermal filler treatment. Some patients decide to start earlier with small volume injections that can help stave off signs of aging. Older patients will likely require higher volume injections in order to achieve their desired look. The advantage of coming to a plastic surgeon for dermal fillers is that they can advise the patient on the best overall anti-aging approach, surgical and/or non-surgical, to give the patient long lasting results that they love.
In order to find out if you are a candidate for dermal fillers or other treatments, please contact our East Bay office to schedule an appointment with Dr. Lee.
Dermal Fillers We Offer
While some offices stick to a single product, Dr. Lee recognizes that each of the fillers available has a unique set of properties. She enjoys having multiple different tools to best address each patient’s individual anatomy and wishes. At ArtfulSurgery, we offer a large range of injectables and are continually evaluating new products as they become available.
Restylane is a popular family of hyaluronic acid fillers that provide patients with natural looking volume. There are several Restylane formulas that each target particular signs of aging.
- Restylane Lyft: This formula adds volume to the cheeks and midfacial area, which may appear deflated with age. It can also help improve contour in this region and, in some cases, decrease the appearance of lines, including nasolabial folds.
- Restylane Silk: Restylane Silk can also help correct the appearance of perioral lines, also known as vertical lip lines while providing a subtle increase in lip fullness.
- Restylane-L: Restylane-L is for the improvement of the appearance of facial wrinkles and folds, including marionette lines and nasolabial folds. This formula differs from regular Restylane in that it includes lidocaine to ease discomfort during the injection process.
- Restylane Refyne: Restylane Refyne is a new addition to the Restylane family of fillers. It is made with special cross-linking XpresHAn technology to soften moderate to severe marionette lines and nasolabial folds. The natural-looking results last up to one year.
- Restylane Defyne: Restylane Defyne is also new to the Restylane family. This filler is specially formulated to correct the appearance of deep marionette lines and nasolabial folds, without interfering with natural facial movement. Restylane Defyne results last up to one year.
Juvéderm is another popular brand of hyaluronic acid filler, which has multiple formulas for various treatments. At ArtfulSurgery, we offer three different Juvéderm formulas.
- Juvéderm Voluma: Voluma is used to add volume to the cheeks, essentially lifting the midfacial area for a more youthful appearance.
- Juvéderm Ultra Plus: Ultra Plus adds volume to decrease the appearance of wrinkles around the nose and mouth, including nasolabial folds and marionette lines.
- Juvéderm Vollure XC: Juvéderm Vollure XC is the newest Juvéderm filler. This unique formula uses Vycross® technology to diminish moderate to severe nasolabial folds. Results of Juvéderm Vollure XC last up to 18 months.
- Juvéderm Volbella: Juvéderm Volbella uses Vycross technology® too, but for subtle yet striking lip augmentation. This proprietary filler also softens the appearance of vertical lip lines. Juvéderm Volbella results last up to one year.
Radiesse is used to correct the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and creases in the face and to rejuvenate the backs of the hands where volume has been lost. The injection formula is made up of Calcium Hydroxylapatite microspheres and works to boost the body’s natural production of collagen.
Dermal Fillers vs Botox
Dermal fillers restore volume and botulinum products relax dynamic wrinkles.
For the most comprehensive nonsurgical facial rejuvenation, Dr. Lee may recommend that patients combine treatments of dermal fillers with Botox or Dysport. Botox and Dysport contain botulinum toxin, which works to diminish the appearance of frown lines and crow’s feet around the eyes and forehead. These wrinkles are caused by the movement of muscles under the skin as we frown or grin widely and crinkle the corner of the eyes. Botox and Dysport gently relax these muscles to prevent the creasing of the overlying skin. Dr. Lee knows that too much relaxation can look artificial. The key to achieving a great result is a gentle hand and an artistic approach.
Frequently, dermal fillers and Botox or Dysport are needed in combination to provide the best rejuvenating effect.
Dr. Lee always considers her patient’s faces as a whole and takes time to thoroughly understand their unique anatomy when designing any injectable treatment plan. She knows that the deepening lines that patients see, are often are caused by loss of volume nearby, not directly by loss of volume in the wrinkle or crease of concern. Understanding this dynamic helps her provide natural looking restoration when simply filling the crease would provide an odd looking result. For instance, gentle fill in the cheek under the eye improves the appearance of the nasolabial fold, while placing too much product directly in the fold can distort the way the mouth moves and can lead to an unnatural and distorted result. With her artist’s eye and detailed knowledge of all the products available, Dr. Lee uses injectables to sculpt natural, restored faces.
At ArtfulSurgery, patient care begins with a private consultation with Dr. Lee. During this visit you will be asked to share your concerns and Dr. Lee will help explain the various options to best address them. Working together, you and she will design a treatment plan, explaining the benefits of each of the different products and the optimal placement of filler for the best, most natural results.
It is important at this consultation that you discuss any medical conditions you may have; some of these may affect the way your body responds to fillers and Botox. Some medications increase the possibility of getting temporary bruising. Breast feeding or pregnant patients should generally wait to be treated until after delivery and the completion of nursing.
In some cases, Dr. Lee may recommend additional or alternative treatments that may help you get the result you are looking for. At ArtfulSurgery, we urge patients to ask any questions that they may have about their treatment or other treatments they are interested in. Our goal is to make you feel as informed and comfortable as possible in making your treatment decisions.
Dermal filler injection treatments typically take less than an hour and can easily be scheduled during a patient’s lunch break. All injections are performed by Dr. Lee herself. When the patient arrives for their treatment, she will mark on the patient’s face where the fillers will be introduced. Many of the fillers that we offer are mixed with lidocaine, an anesthetic that helps minimize discomfort. However, Dr. Lee will also apply anesthetic cream to make the process more comfortable. In the case of lip injections, our practice utilizes a dental block, which completely numbs the lips. Since the needles are so thin, the majority of our patients find the treatment to be quite comfortable.
Following your treatment, you will be able to return to normal routines. There may be slight bruising or swelling around the injection sites that can be easily covered up with makeup if desired. In general, we recommend that patients avoid heavy lifting, saunas or steam rooms or heavy exercise for 24 hours as getting a flushed and red face during this period can increase the risk of bruising.
As will most good things, fillers require maintenance; the products slowly wear off over time. Dr Lee will help design a program to restore facial fullness gently and to maintain results with follow up treatment visits to “top off” your result as the products gradually wear off. Over time, touch ups may be needed less frequently as your tissues and fillers work together holding the correction for longer intervals. As with all treatments at ArtfulSurgery, we are here to provide care in a fashion customized for your individual needs.
In order to get started, please give us a call today at our East Bay office or fill out this form online.